August 26, 2010

Soulvaki... AKA, Chicken Gyros

I had 2 cucumbers from the garden that were almost at the "overripe" state... and we don't eat THAT many cucumbers (which is why I grew them... I hate buying them and throwing half away... growing them and throwing half away I'm much more comforable with) so I decided that I needed to make Tzatziki Sauce... which means gyros - but I didn't have any lamb around, so we had Soulvaki instead :)

Boy was this yummy - and way easier than I had expected. Lettuce, tomato, peppers, a little shallot, feta, grilled marinated chicken and Tzatziki on a pita. Heaven and even potentially a "quick meal" if you do a little prep ahead of time!





Tzatziki:
1/2 cup grated cucumber (I food-processed mine to save my fingers and cause I'm lazy.)
1/2 cup strained greek yogurt (I just put mine in from the container that said "strained" but it ended up being soupy... don't know if that's right, the cucumbers, or if I was supposed to drain the yogurt again...)
1 garlic clove (I used a rasp to mush mine in)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice (mine was from a bottle)
1/4 tsp salt
**combine, eat. Keeps in fridge for a week

Soulvaki
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic (SOOO yummy!)
1.5 tsp fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried
1/2 tsp salt
**marinate chicken for 30 minutes, flipping once. I cubed the chicken and put it on skewers... you could use chicken fingers and just throw them on the grill, or use a grill pan too.

"Gyro" - Gyros are basically Lamb with Tzatziki on a pita. Anything else you add is considered a condiment. Soulvaki is the "chicken version" of a gyro.

-Betsy
Posted by Picasa

No comments: