June 10, 2011

Food Friday - Zebra Bread and Pasta Salad

The other day, I made bread from my favorite recipe (Crusty White Bread) in Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day... what I didn't expect however, was to pick up the POWDERED SUGAR from the cabinet instead of the flour when it came time to cloak it...

Well, I eventually figured out what I'd done (and used real flour too), but it was too late... I went with a "well... lets see how this works" attitude, and discovered that powdered sugar (probably sugar in general) doesn't really appreciate 450* steam...  but the bread tasted fine (kind of like kabob's... you can TASTE the char, but it doesn't bother you?). Hubby said he even LIKED it! However... I've named it "Zebra Bread"... because, well... see for yourself!


 And for dinner last night, I made Balsamic Tomato Mozzarella Spinach Chicken Pasta Salad. I should PROBABLY work on the name of it... but it was pretty yummy!



I have NO measurements at ALL for this... BUT, the ingredients are...

Mini Bow Ties (or any pasta that makes you happy)
Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
Spinach, ripped and wilted on the hot bow ties
Mozzarella Balls (I got the tiniest ones so there would be more bites with cheese :-P)
Chunked, leftover Rotisserie Chicken (from those $6.00 ones at the store?)
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt
Pepper

I know... there were a bunch of "surprise ingredients" in there, lol. It really should be left to sit for a while to let all the flavors meld, and I think next time, I'd roast the tomatoes first too. But it was a delicious summer meal that you can eat cold, and even use as a side-dish at a picnic (it's still yummy without the chicken too, by the way).

An alternative dressing to the "balsamic vinaigrette" is Italian Dressing. My preggers-ness didn't want it TOO flavorful yesterday, so I went with the balsamic (I really didn't add much) but I did "try" both 0:-P I'm sure hubby would have liked it better with the Italian (or more balsamic).

I served it with some "fake garlic bread" too... a few slices of the "zebra bread" doused with olive oil (and rubbed together, cause I'm weird like that) and a shake of garlic powder and dried basil. MMMMM MMMM good.

-Betsy

No comments: