October 11, 2011

Maternity Fashions: "Ruched" Shirt

This shirt is actually a mistake. A SUPER COMFORTABLE mistake, but a mistake never the less!  I found this pattern for a "Kimono Tee" on BurdaStyle.com and decided to try and make a tunic out of it by lengthening it. Well, I didn't account for the belly or hips when I did, so I ended up with this super-tight, really long shirt. Not ideal. SO, I figured I'd try "ruching" the front to make it fit over the upcoming belly. I used a basting stitch on the front half of the fabric starting 4" from the edge of the sleeves to the edge, and gathered it up, well... until it looked nice and hit a good spot on my hips really. Then I pinned it to the back side and sewed the two together (with the back remaining flat). I then trimmed off the back in a nice curve (to help cover the bum). Since it was made of knit, I didn't finish ANY of the edges. And this fabulously draping green fabric was in the Value Bin at $2.00/yard!! So the shirt cost me about... $3.00. I've gotten compliments on this shirt out in town too! And surprised a few people saying that I MADE it!. Tomorrow I'll tell you about successfully modifying the Kimono pattern into a tunic!

Just remember: when you go to sew clothes, or anything really... don't be afraid!! You never know what you'll end up with, and there's USUALLY a way you can fix it - and make a statement while doing so!


No comments: