April 12, 2010

French Toast - no measuring style :-P

Oh no! It's Monday (like, 8PM on Monday) and I realized I never posted something for today's "What's for Dinner!" Well, to be honest, I ate a small dinner at my neighbor's, cause she's rad, and am going to have some leftovers in a minute, but since neither of those are spectacular, here's my "backup What's for Dinner". I'll pay you all back with another "what's for dinner" tomorrow... whoops!!



So I love French Toast. Hubby's a big fan himself. I know a lot of people who don't make french toast at home, and I'm not 100% sure why. It's easier than pancakes! And we use Bisquick for pancakes and waffles.

I don't "measure" my french toast ingredients. Probably because we'd always help mom when we were little to make it (we did "science experiments" with the vanilla and she turned it into an educational experience). But there are no hard-and-fast rules on proportions for french toast... so why get extra stuff dirty? You'll find recipes out there that use more ingredients, but if you aren't making french toast because "it's too hard" just try this one.

Easy French toast has 4 ingredients.
1 - Eggs.
2 - Milk.
3 - Vanilla Extract.
4 - Bread.

What kind of eggs, milk, vanilla and bread don't matter. Heck, I'm pretty sure I "made breakfast for father's day" when I was too young to have been trusted with the stove and used orange extract and he still says it tasted good... so if you don't want to use vanilla, or you want to use some OTHER extract... have at it!.

Generally, you're looking for a ratio of 1 egg to 1/4 cup milk to 1/4 tsp vanilla (which would probably make... 2-3 slices of french toast). I totally eyeball everything. 1 egg is about 1/4 cup... so equal parts egg and milk, and then I LOVE vanilla... so I just splash it all in there until I feel like it's good. Then I stop and watch the "vanilla storms" come up. Try it... you'll see :-P

So you're going to take a flat dish, I use a pyrex baking pan usually... and beat your eggs up with a fork. You want to beat your eggs first, because it makes mixing the milk in easier later. Then you splash some milk in there until it looks 1/2 and 1/2 eggs-milk. Mix that on up with your fork. Then splash in some vanilla. Mom used the lid to measure out the 1/4 tsp... I just splash away. The vanilla has a chemical reaction with the egg/milk, and makes these cool storms. You can entertain yourself and watch them for a bit, or just stir in the vanilla. Take your bread (I like using potato or white best, but Irish soda bread is pretty good too) and dip it in the mixture. Flip it over to get both sides. If you want to soak up a bunch, leave it in longer. I don't like mine TOO mushy, so it's generally a quick dip, flip, dip, out.

You'll cook them on a greased griddle (the same one you make pancakes on) until they're browned on one side... then flip, brown, EAT!

Now, this is where MY family deviates from EVERYONE else. We eat our french toast with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Apparently, the thing to do is use syrup? Hubby switched over when he learned the "good way". So make up a batch of french toast this weekend and pull out that bottle of cinnamon, and enjoy some french toast that doesn't require a trip to IHOP.

1 comment:

Robert said...

It was the most unique french toast I've ever had that Father's Day. I think everything you cook tastes great, and I think that I should eat your cooking more often!

Dad